Thursday, January 15, 2009

Stash plans

So I'm working hard on finished UFOs as they're beginning to take up more space than my stash is. I'm through the cuff of the last sleeve on Hazel's Bolero and have 1 inch left of the cloche before I have to decrease. (I was going to post pics but my camera died and we don't have any batteries in the house.)

So the goal is to get those finished. Then tackle my wips off Ravelry. I'm thinking I'll finish the fast projects like H's Uggs and Adam's Juggling toys, which shouldn't take any time. then I'll finish the scarves and wraps and mom's last gauntlet and Matt's sock (again). And finish typing up the pattern for Matt's frat feet.

Then I'm trying to make plans for my stash. I just recieved 2 shipments of yarn (my first orders off the internet) and looked at my stash and realized that it was OK to have stashed yarn of this magnitude when you're staying put. But I'm running out of storage space and with the tiny amount of space we have anyway, I need to be responsible. So I'm going through my stash and designating patterns for said yarn. I'm pretty proud as a lot of the yarn seems to have been assigned a pattern. I've still got a lot to go, and I don't know how I'll ever get the time to knit some of this up, but if I stay focused and get the job done, maybe I won't have a lot of precious yarn to put into a box and pray that they don't loose enroute to America. Some of the yarn I just can't come up with anything that I love enough to knit my precious expensive yarn into.

Like my Cherry Tree Hill Merino Lace in River Run. It was my splurge at the Iknit day last September. There's 2400 yds of that bad boy, but I love love love it and want whatever I knit up to be special. I considered an afghan, but they get spilled on and spit up on and it's 100% MERINO. Nope, not gonna do it. And I can't find a sweater or something wearable that I like enough. So that one will sit in the stash....it will find it's purpose some day.

Then I have one skein of 100% Silk Laceweight from Fyberspates that I bought at the same show. 440 yds. Delicious. It feels sexy in your hands and I have no idea what would be sexy enough to knit it up as. Brett's taking me to the ballet in February, so I wonder if I shouldn't knit up a pretty shawl. But the colors don't match the dress I'm planning to wear, so i'd have to wear something else.

And I got some lovely (and not so lovely) yarn in the mail yesterday and today. I got 6 skeins of Pop Corn by Rosarios 4 (3 in Chocolate and 3 in Sky Blue) on clearance from Purlescence for 1.95 GBP each! and one hank of Artyarns Ultramerino 4ply in Indigo/yellow which was on sale, too! Then from Woollyworkshop I got 3 balls of Adriafil Spillo and 5 balls of Adriafil Opale. I've been eyeing the Opale for a couple of months now, and finally decided to buy some with my Christmas money as it was on sale for fairly cheap. The colors on line were gorgeous, and although I know the pictures alter the actual coloring a bit, I was not prepared for what I actually recieved in the mail. Instead of a beautiful blue, yellow, green combo, I got basically yellow and black. Which would be great if I could knit it into something Purdue-esque, but the yellow is more neon than basic or gold, so I'm stuck. I'm just hoping it knits up surprisingly pretty, because I have 5 BALLS of it. On the flip side, I was unsure of the Spillo, but I thought it would be cute as a hat for H or something, but when I got it, wow. It's gorgeous. Just beautiful. And at 1.66 a ball, I feel like I should order more so I can get a garment out of it and not just a scarf or a hat. It's self striping, but the stripes are subtle and muted together. I love it, cannot wait to make something out of it....

What to do.....

No comments: